Make the Plastic Free Communities Pledge to:
- work to remove at least three single-use plastic items from day to day activities
- commit to include our stance on single-use plastic in communications
- raise awareness and support plastic free initiatives in the community
Transition Buxton will promote your group’s pledge and provide you with a (non plastic) sign for you to display to demonstrate your support by having made the pledge.
- Complete an audit of your group. What single use plastics do you use? (don’t forget cleaning materials and pens)
- What have you already got rid of or replaced? (You can claim these)
- What can you easily stop using and providing to staff and customers?
- What are the things you will need to phase out more gradually?
- If you really can’t do without some items, are there sustainable alternatives on the market?
Here are a few ideas:
- Ban biscuits wrapped individually in plastic. Buy a packet and recycle the biscuit packet at “Hard to recycle” collection points
- Use pens that can take refills
- Stop providing milk sachets and provide a jug of milk for members to use.
- Refill cleaning materials (such as loo cleaner) – support local shop at Day Zero
If you need help, eg with alternatives, just email email@example.com and we’ll do our best to solve your problem